Saturday, February 9, 2013

Ugliest Deer Ever!

           What's this? I thought this blog was about cardboard art? Well it is, but I thought it would be appropriate to see what has inspired me over the years. Meet Bambi Alien by H. R. Giger. This little fella was the star of the film Alien 3 and caused a lot of problems for a few prisoners. I don't know about you, but I loved Aliens and Alien 3. Aliens was especially good because we got to see a ton of creatures go crazy on some unlucky space marines. One could say the film was even a factor in my decision to enlist in the U.S. Marine Corps.
          I was fortunate enough to see Aliens at a young age so the alien design really captured my imagination. I loved the exoskeleton and the inner jaw that was always used to finish off its prey. I thought to myself these would be the coolest toys ever...and do you know what happened a few years later? Kenner produced some Aliens toys! Oh yeah, did my GI Joes get it then. They were no match for all those crazy colored aliens. The red crab one was especially unique.
          I eventually drew a picture of the deadly Alien after seeing a picture of H.R. Giger's sculpture. This is an old picture of mine but it means a lot to me. I thought I was "all grown up" as an artist because I decided to do the whole thing in pen. Many years have passed since then and the passion for making art is coming back. I have started playing around with cardboard recently and I look forward to sharing some interesting characters with you.


No comments:

Post a Comment